The Crafty Prawn’s Top 10 Quotes for Quilts
To read a bit more about the idea behind The Crafty Prawn hand-embroidered ‘quotes for quilts’, please click here. Otherwise, enjoy purusing this selection of some of my favourite quotes and extracts that would make a fabulous, quirky and totally original hand-embroidered addition to one of The Crafty Prawn made-to-order patchwork quilts...
“I is a dream-blowing giant,’ the BFG said ‘Nice dreams. Lovely golden dreams.
Dreams that is giving the dreamers a happy time.”
‘The BFG’, Roald Dahl
“We have a little garden, a garden of our own.
And everyday we water there the seeds that we have sown.
We love our little garden, and tend it with such care.
You will not find a faded leaf or blighted blossom there.”
‘Cecily Parsley’s Nursery Rhymes’, Beatrix Potter
“My dear young fellow,’ the Old-Green-Grasshopper said gently, ‘there are a whole lot of things in this world of ours you haven’t started wondering about yet.”
‘James and the Giant Peach’, Roald Dahl
- “Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.”
‘Through the Looking-Glass,’ Lewis Carroll
“Mole sat on the bank, while the river still chattered on to him, a babbling procession of the best stories in the world, sent from the heart of the earth to be told at last to the insatiable sea”
‘The Wind in the Willows’, Kenneth Grahame
- “The Owl and the Pussy-cat went to sea
In a beautiful pea green boat,
They took some honey, and plenty of money,
Wrapped up in a five pound note.
The Owl looked up to the stars above,
And sang to a small guitar,
‘O lovely Pussy! O Pussy my love,
What a beautiful Pussy you are!,”
‘The Owl and The Pussycat’, Edward Lear
- “It seemed a very unusual kind of bear. It was brown in colour, a rather dirty brown, and it was wearing a most odd-looking hat with a wide brim.The bear bent down to do up it’s suitcase and Mrs Brown caught a glimpse of the writing on the label…PLEASE LOOK AFTER THIS BEAR. THANK YOU.”
‘Paddington Bear’, Michael Bond
- “They called aloud, ‘Our Sieve ain’t big,
But we don’t care a button! we don’t care a fig!
In a Sieve we’ll go to sea!’
Far and few, far and few,
Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue,
And they went to sea in a Sieve.”
‘The Jumblies’, Edward Lear
- “Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. “Pooh?” he whispered.
“Nothing,” said Piglet, taking Pooh’s hand. “I just wanted to be sure of you.”
- “It’s a funny thing about mothers and fathers. Even when their own child is the most disgusting little blister you could ever imagine, they still think that he or she is wonderful.” ‘Matilda’, Roald Dahl